Saturday, October 3, 2009

October is....

October is a big month for me, full of information and events to celebrate. October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month - something that, to no one's surprise, is a cause I hold close to my heart. October is my birthday, day 1 in 365, of my journey of life. October is Jonah's birthday as well. My youngest, my last, growing and reaching milestones. October is a big month for me.

Breast Cancer Awareness - what is it? What isnt it! All women, and I would add men, can get breast cancer. Regardless of family history, this disease can strike anyone at any time. People who are diagnosed early have a higher chance of surival. This means you have to take the initiative to know your body, to educate yourself on the signs and symptoms that accompany cancer, and to keep in regular contact with your doctors. You can reduce the chances of this type, and other cancers, by committing to a healthy lifestyle. So, take part in regular physical activities, watch your diet/weight, and avoid excessive alcohol or tobacco use. Again, what is Breast Cancer Awareness? It is the knowledge of yourself, respecting your body, educating your mind, and loving your life. What isnt it?

My birthday...oh joy! I remember a few years ago, as I was about to turn 30, dreading the day. I cannot recollect why this number held such a doom for me, but oh it did! Friends and family heard me whine and complain from the day after I became 29 that in 'one year' my life would be over! I know it seems silly, but I am sure that we all can admit that one of our birthdays was a bit more traumatic than the others. Please say it wasnt just me!? Looking back, now that 4 years have gone by, 30 was not much different than any other year. It was all in my mind...what a great saying! I look forward to another year to grow and to learn. I look forward to another opportunity to watch my family love and laugh. I look forward to another chance to see God's plans for my life challenge and amaze me.

Jonah, Jonah, Jonah. What to say about that little man? He is a constant source of comic relief in our family. He challenges Paul and I in ways that Jacob and Chloe never have. He still loves to cuddle. He still sucks his thumb - and I still think its adorable! (Yes, I realize that it will become a horrible struggle sooner than later) He cannot go a day without having the color orange on him, around him, or in him. A bit OCD, but its fun to watch! He is our youngest, our last. What a way to end the show!

1 comments:

Jamie said...

Aaaahhhh your baby is getting so big!!! I can't even picture him irl! Happy belated birthday to you too my friend. My big GRRR birthday was this past one, 32. For some reason it seems like there's no going back now! lol And thanks for all your breast cancer awareness plugs...I know how close to your heart it is. Hugs!